At Prescient Securities (PSec) we pride ourselves on being an independent, dynamic and progressive, client-focused stockbroking business.
- To be recognised as the leading full-service BEE stockbroker in SA by 2020
- To be seen as an innovator in the SA stockbroking space
Our value proposition stands on five pillars:
- Quality Execution
- Focused Value-Add Research (incl. bespoke solutions)
- Strong BEE Credentials
- Innovation / New Services
Our business model is based on hiring A-Players and making our clients our primary focus.
PSec is an agency broker, and therefore has no potential conflict of interest with clients. Our highly valued client relationships are based on integrity and trust.
Level One B-BBEE Status
In 2018 PSec attained a Level One B-BBEE Status. This allows our clients to claim points under the relevant procurement sections of the Financial Sector Charter (FSC) Codes.
View our BEE certificate
Equity Broking and Research
We provide focused research across asset classes coupled with fundamental and strategic research tailored to client needs. PSec also offers risk management and quantitative analysis services and has systems to assist clients in these areas.
The sole focus of the PSec Equity Research Division is to produce research that is highly informative and adds value to our clients. Our independence and size allows us the flexibility to focus on enriched research only, rather than covering areas where little value can be added.
PSec is actively and increasingly involved in assisting institutional clients with the science of investments; essentially aiding clients to understand their sources of value-add better, and also their areas of alpha slippage or investment process inefficiencies. The majority of this work is done on both a bespoke and proprietary basis for larger institutional clients.
Derivative Broking and Research
The derivatives team provides clients with dedicated and innovative bespoke investment trading solutions. We offer our clients the platform to efficiently take advantage of trading opportunities within the equity-based derivatives markets.
Fixed Income Broking
The bond trading team works on an agency basis, relying on good market information, technical and trading knowledge to generate and execute orders for clients. We take pride in our honesty, integrity and deal-execution skills to get the best deals for our clients.
PSec General Excel and Research Software (GEARS for short) represents a confluence in technological innovation and the multiple sources of PSec value-add. PSec GEARS is a cutting-edge delivery platform that provides clients with access to various useful analytical tools (across asset-classes), the entire ambit of our research product (including increasingly popular high-frequency market intelligence), as well as tried-and-tested investment applications – all accessible within Excel. It has been benchmarked and tested to industrial standards. The product is free to clients, and due to its growing popularity, is also now available for stand-alone or enterprise-level licensing.
Visit www.psecgears.co.za to download and install.
Administration is a core competency and supports the equities, futures and fixed interest traders, ensuring the timeous and effective settlement of all the traded instruments. In addition, we provide portfolio valuations and trade report services to our institutional and private clients.
Capital Raising / Debt Origination
PSec, together with Bree Street Capital Proprietary Limited, raises substantial capital at competitive rates for listed corporates on a private placement basis from larger asset managers and institutions. The investment is in the form of a straightforward note and does not involve a formal listing programme. The notes are dematerialised and settled through the STRATE payment system. The term is from call to long dated.
PSec acts as calculation agent on these notes and manages the administration thereof.
Wayne Smith, who has many years of experience as a legal advisor in banking and in structured finance, can be contacted on 021 700 5315 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 JSE Spire Awards
- #1 - Best Agency Broker - Listed Forex Options
- #2 - Best Agency Broker - Bonds
- #3 - Best Agency Broker: Listed Interest Rate Derivatives
- #3 - Best Agency Broker: Listed Forex Futures
- #4 - Best Dealing Team - Equity Delta One Derivatives
- #5 - Best Research Team - Quantitative Research
- #5 - Best Team - Inflation Linked Bonds
2018 Financial Mail Ranking the Analysts
- #1 – Computing and Electronics
- #1 – Risk Management
- #2 – Quantitative Analysis
- #2 – Derivatives Analysis
- #2 - Execution: Derivatives
- #3 - Young Analyst of the Year
- #3 - Hotels, Travel & Leisure
- #3 - Forestry & Paper
- #5 - Resources Small & Medium Cap
- #8 - Execution: Fixed Interest
2017 Financial Mail Ranking the Analysts
- #2 – Derivatives Research [#2 in 2016]
- #2 – Risk Management [#5 in 2016]
- #2 – Quantitative Research [did not feature in 2016 except for Firm Ranking at #6]
- #2 – Hotels, Travel and Leisure [#3 in 2016]
- #3 – Derivatives Dealing [#2 in 2016]
- #3 – Young Analyst Award (Non-Equities)
- #4 – Computing and Electronics
- #5 – Resources Small and Medium Cap
- #5 – Credit Analysis
- #6 – Financial and Industrial Small and Medium Cap
2016 JSE Spire Awards
- #1 – Best Agency Broker – Listed Interest Rate Derivatives
- #2 – Best Agency Broker – Listed FX Derivatives
- #3 – Best Agency Broker House – Overall (previously #1)